In 1936, Rowan Brae in Gordon Road opened its doors to seven young pupils. Its founder, Miss Katherine Millar, was determined to create an environment conducive to learning; she wanted Rowan to be a place where girls enjoyed their studies, developed a strong sense of self and established lasting friendships.
Such was the school's success that in less than ten years it comprised more than 100 girls. This led to the decision to purchase Rowan Hill, just half a mile away, for girls of 8 to 13 years. The school evolved steadily and in 1961 it became a charitable trust with a board of governors.
Today, Rowan's reputation continues to grow from strength to strength. It is confirmed, not just due to the impressive academic results and scholarships that the girls consistently achieve, and the high calibre of senior schools to which they progress, but also through their achievements in the arts, music and sport (for which the school is recognised both locally and nationally). Rowan is a school where girls excel but, above all, it is a school where girls are happy.